SPME PRESENTS: FIFTY YEARS OF THE SPECIAL US-ISRAEL RELATIONSHIP (1962-2012): WALT-MEARSHEIMER IN PERSPECTIVE
December 1, 2010
Ambassadors Michael Oren and Samuel Lewis, Along with Canadian MP Irwin Cotler Headline SPME Conference in Miami, January 16-18, 2011
Scholars for Peace in the Middle East conference
Fifty Years of the Special US-Israel Relationship (1962-2012): Walt-Mearsheimer in Perspective
January 16-18, 2011
The Conrad Miami Hotel
1395 Brickell Avenue, Miami, FL, 33131
SPME interdisciplinary academic conference of unprecedented proportions… key note speakers such as Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren, former US Ambassador to Israel Samuel Lewis and Canadian Minister of Parliament and past Justice Minister of Canada, The Honorable Irwin Cotler. Scholars for Peace in the Middle East and the Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies at the University of Miami will hold an international conference, entitled ” Fifty Years of the Special US-Israel Relationship (1962-2012): Walt-Mearsheimer in Perspective,” in Miami, FL, January 16-18, 2011.
The focus of the conference was to examine the special relationship between the US and Israel over the last 50 years and to explore directions and possibilities for the future of that relationship. The impact of Walt and Mearsheimer in inspiring attacks on the US-Israel special relationship was analyzed.
In addition the conference dealt with the many issues facing faculty on college campuses today such as the delegitimization of the state of Israel, boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS), anti-Israelism and anti-Semitism as it has manifested in recent years and what SPME is doing about it an how you can get involved.
SPME is inviting scholars (and experts) of all disciplines to get together in our big tent for lectures, workshops and meetings to expand faculty involvement and leadership as well as be briefed by some of the leading figures and academic minds dealing with these issues.
The conference promised to be historic AND SO IT WAS!
The following list of presenters is not complete.
* Edwin Black, Journalist
* Joseph Cerami, Texas A and M
* John R. Cohn, MD, Thomas Jefferson University
* The Honorable Irwin Cotler, Canadian MP Keynote Speaker
* Richard Cravatts, Boston University
* A Jay Cristol, Author, Miami, FL
* Donna Robinson Divine, Smith College
* Amitai Etzoni, George Washington University
* Terri Fine, University of Central Florida
* Luis Fleischman, Florida Atlantic University
* Moshe Fox, doctoral candidate in the Institute of Contemporary Jewry, Hebrew University of Jerusalem and a senior member of the Israeli Foreign Service
* Robert Friedmann, George State University
* Eytan Gilboa, Bar Ilan University
* Daniel Goldhagen, Political Scientist, Author
* Clemens Heni, Germany
* Raphael Israeli, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
* Steven Jacobs, University of Alabama
* Kenneth Jacobson, ADL New York
* Tatiana Karasova, Russian Academy of Sciences and University of Moscow
* Jonathan Kessler, AIPAC
* Richard Landes, Boston University
* Ambassador Samuel Lewis, Keynote Speaker
* Kenneth Marcus, Baruch College
* David Menashri, Tel Aviv University
* Ed Morgan, University of Toronto
* Yossi Olmert, Middle East Scholar, New York
* Ambassador Michael Oren, Keynote Speaker
* Diethard Pallaschke, University of Karlsruhe, Germany
* Daniel Pipes, Middle East Forum
* Martin Raffel, JCPA
* Russell Robinson, JNF
* Barry Rubin, GLORIA Center, IDC
* Michael Salzberg, ADL, New York
* Ira Sheskin, University of Miami
* Haim Shaked, University of Miami
* Kenneth Stein, Emory University
* Ernest Sternberg, University of Buffalo
* Ralf R. Schumann, Humbolt University, Germany
* Abraham R. Wagner, Columbia University
* Marc Weitzman, Simon Wiesenthal Center New York
The conference was held at the Conrad Miami Hotel on 1395 Brickell Avenue, Miami, FL, 33131, Florida.