Heaven on Earth: The Varieties of the Millennial Experience
by: Richard Landes
List Price: $40.95
Prices subject to change.
Amazon.com's Price: $16.89You Save: $24.06 (59%)
Prices subject to change.
Availability: Usually ships in 1-2 business days
Brand: Richard Landes
Feature: Heaven on Earth The Varieties of the Millennial Experience
Label: Oxford University Press
Manufacturer: Oxford University Press
Number Of Items: 1
Number Of Pages: 520
Publication Date: August 04, 2011
Publisher: Oxford University Press
Studio: Oxford University Press
- Heaven on Earth The Varieties of the Millennial Experience
- Against the Grain: A Deep History of the Earliest States
- In the Shadow of the Sword: The Birth of Islam and the Rise of the Global Arab Empire
- Millennium, Messiahs, and Mayhem: Contemporary Apocalyptic Movements
- The Shipwrecked Mind: On Political Reaction
- Terror in the Mind of God: The Global Rise of Religious Violence (Comparative Studies in Religion and Society)
- Black Flags: The Rise of ISIS
- For the Glory of God: How Monotheism Led to Reformations, Science, Witch-Hunts, and the End of Slavery
- Salvation and Suicide: An Interpretation of Jim Jones, the Peoples Temple, and Jonestown (Religion in North America)
- The Oxford Handbook of Millennialism (Oxford Handbooks)
- A Culture of Conspiracy: Apocalyptic Visions in Contemporary America (Comparative Studies in Religion and Society)
- see more
Millennialists through the ages have looked forward to the apocalyptic moment that will radically transform society into heaven on earth. They have delivered withering critiques of their own civilizations and promised both the impending annihilation of the forces of evil and the advent of a perfect society. And all their promises have invariably failed. We tend, therefore, to dismiss these prophets of doom and salvation as crackpots and madmen, and not surprisingly historians of our secular era have tended to underestimate their impact on our modern world. Now, Richard Landes offers a lucid and ground-breaking analysis of this widely misunderstood phenomenon.
This long-awaited study shows that many events typically regarded as secular--including the French Revolution, Marxism, Bolshevism, Nazism--not only contain key millennialist elements, but follow the apocalyptic curve of enthusiastic launch, disappointment and (often catastrophic) re-entry into "normal time." Indeed, as Landes examines the explicit millennialism behind such recent events as the emergence of Global Jihad since 1979, he challenges the common notion that modern history is largely driven by secular interests. By focusing on ten widely different case studies, none of which come from Judaism or Christianity, he shows that millennialism is not only a cultural universal, but also an extremely adaptive social phenomenon that persists across the modern and post-modern divides. At the same time, he also offers valuable insight into the social and psychological factors that drive such beliefs.
Ranging from ancient Egypt to modern-day UFO cults and global Jihad, Heaven on Earth both delivers an eye-opening revisionist argument for the significance of millennialism throughout history and alerts the reader to the alarming spread of these ideologies in our world today.
Average Rating: none
Browse for similar items by category: